Friday, March 21, 2008

Midi Input


Time to choose midi input hardware. I read everything I could reasonably find on the web and made a few phone calls. On a recent trip to the Seattle area, I decided to drop in on Artisan Instruments, Inc. in Kenmore, Washington (http://www.artisanorgans.com). Red and Mark could not have been more helpful. They explained their system and answered all of the questions I had written down, including a detailed explanation of how I could rewire and use the 90 or so stop tabs that are in my project console. Replacing those magnetic stop tabs would have dealt a severe blow to my project budget. I got to see some of their work and hear a great demonstration of their five manual midi organ. Now I wonder if three manuals will be enough.

I also liked the fact that it looked like the Artisan Organ serial input boards (see photo) could be wired to the manuals and other switches on my Allen console in a relatively straightforward manner. I ordered the first round of input boards which arrived promptly in less than a week.

No comments: